Monday, September 22, 2014

Banned Books Week

This is one of my favorite weeks! I absolutely love it. We read a bunch of great books and laugh about what people have found offensive. Captain Underpants was the most challenged book of 2013. It boggles the mind! We love that series! I have never understood why people feel the need to make decisions for everyone about what is appropriate or not to read. Our library has tons of books I wouldn't let my children read, but that's a choice I make for MY family, not yours. Here's an idea. Pay attention to what your kids bring home from the library. Problem solved.
Here's a link to information about Banned Books Week.

We're starting off by reading Where The Wild Things Are for Max.
Yes, that was banned too. And then on to A Wrinkle in Time for Bess, also banned. Sigh.

What Were Cooking-- Midwest Chowder, so delicious and simple to make. With the weather cooling, it feels perfect for soup making. We serve it with Soft White Dinner Rolls. This is a really easy recipe  for bread. A child could do it. Hmm. Maybe it's time to teach Bess to make rolls....

What Were Creating--Homemade Paper Lanterns. I'll post a picture when we're finished.

What We're Watching--They Might Be Giants:Here Comes Science



 What I'm Watching--The Korean drama My Lovely Girl.




What I'm Reading--For my Banned Books Week selection I'm rereading To Kill A Mockingbird. I never tire of it. It's perfection.

So that's what's on the docket for this week. We're planning on plenty of fall walks, too. I'm sure Bess and Max will have our house overflowing with found acorns and pine cones soon.
I hope you have a great week!

Until Next Time!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun idea! I did not know that Where the Wild Things Are was banned. Might have to re-read it myself.

    ReplyDelete